Originally posted to Quora.
Simply relying on customers to find your product through social media and PR channels limits your ability to market and measure results.
Audience segmentation should take a holistic view of the audience – demographics, psychographics, social conversations, interview revelations, technographics, etc. A thorough review of the quantitative and qualitative data gives marketers and merchandisers the information they need to target products and messaging to consumers in a consistent, contextual, and continuous manner.
Accurate segmentation allows marketers to:
- Align stakeholders around defined audience personas or archetypes
- Create targeted and relevant messaging
- Focus teams on content and promotions
- Automate and/or hand-craft relevant push notifications and personalized content
- Often, inform product design and pricing, etc.
Layering social sentiment (conversations, feedback, interviews, etc.) over a segmentation exercise can illustrate the customer’s voice, purchasing drivers, concerns, etc. Segmentation also helps create the framework for engagement and conversion measurement.
With the right data, segmentation, messaging, and measurement, a brand can find direct correlations between its outreach and the customer response.